Chia fresca, also known as chia lemonade, is a Mexican lemonade with chia seeds for added benefits. Refreshing, full of fiber & perfect for hot summer days!
When the weather gets hot, my favorite way to cool off is drinking a refreshing drink, like this chia fresca or chia lemonade. However you call it, it's a Mexican lemonade with added chia seeds for extra benefits.
For more refreshing summer drinks, check out How to Make Aguas Frescas - 7 Refreshing Flavors!
Chia Fresca Benefits:
- Hydrating & the fiber keeps you full
- Lemon: Vitamin C, alkalizing once digested, aids digestion
- Chia Seeds: Loaded with fiber, healthy fats, and plant based protein. All things that help you feel full and satiated. I love chia seeds. I blend them up in my smoothies, sprinkle them on yogurt, add them to oatmeal or cereal, or make a tasty chia pudding.
The recipe is so easy, just mix together cold water, fresh lemon juice, chia seeds, and sweetener of your choice. Sugar, agave, honey, or liquid stevia can be used. Feel free to leave out the sweetener if you prefer it plain. The chia seeds will plump up after about 5 minutes in the water and the seeds will start to settle. Give it a good mix before you drink it up!
Chia fresca is most commonly made with lemon but any fruit can be used.
Variations on Chia Fresca:
- Watermelon chia fresca - Blend up watermelon and strain the pulp. Then chill the juice before adding chia seeds.
- Strawberry chia fresca - Blend up strawberries with water and strain the pulp.
- Cucumber chia fresca - Add thin slices of cucumber into a pitcher to create cucumber infused water.
- Lime & Mint chia fresca - Muddle lime and mint before adding chilled water and chia seeds.
I hope you make this chia lemonade fresca! Please share, rate, and comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates and occasional kitchen tips and tricks! Also come find me on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Stop by and leave me a message! I love reading your comments!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
You might like these other recipes!
Refreshing Chia Fresca - Chia Lemonade
- 3 cups cold filtered water
- ¼ cup lemon juice - about 1 large lemon
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
Optional Sweetener - choose ONE of the following:
- 1 ½ Tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ Tablespoons agave
- liquid stevia drops - to taste
- Add all the ingredients into a small pitcher or a large mason jar. The chia seeds will start to expand after 5 - 10 minutes. Enjoy chilled or with ice.
✎ Recipe Notes
- This recipe is featured in How to Make Aguas Frescas - 7 Refreshing Flavors
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.
I read that chia was a superfood and I wanted to start with something simple using this ingredient. This is such a great way to use chia!! The lemonade is so refreshing and it is good to know that it has some extra added health benefits!
Thanks Brittany! So happy you enjoyed this!
I had a packet of chia seeds sitting in my pantry for so long, and I have never been quite sure of what to do with it. Well, let's just say, if this is the only thing I ever use chia for, then that is okay, as YUM. What a refreshing and fun drink!
I really love the lemonade it is so refreshing, filling and gives energy. I keep lemonade made up and add chia seeds to sit for awhile to enjoy morning and afternoon. Thank you again.
I love this refreshing chia lemonade! It's super easy, it's healthy, it fills me up with energy for the day, and most importantly, it tastes great! Not too sweet either, which I've found to be a problem with a lot of lemonade.
Thanks Laurel! So glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
Love this easy chia lemonade. So
Refreshing and filling.
Thank you Chichi! So glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
Looks so refreshing! The perfect summer beverage!
Thank you Taylor! Yes it's so good for the summer! 🙂
I would definitely enjoy this lemonade. So great for hot summer days! I love all things chia!
Same here! 🙂 I'm starting to use chia in more recipes and I don't know what took me so long.
What a refreshing lemonade! I never thought about putting chia seeds in lemonade, but what a great idea!
Thank you so much Pam! So glad you loved it. I'm starting to put chia seeds in more of my drinks now! 😀