Try this Panda Express Mushroom Chicken Copycat recipe! Tender pan seared chicken stir fried with mushrooms and zucchini in a delicious Asian soy ginger garlic sauce!
I go to Panda Express more times than I’m willing to admit but there’s something about their food that I love. One of my favorite dishes I get is their Mushroom Chicken – tender chicken with slices of mushroom and zucchini mixed in a soy garlicky ginger sauce. This Panda Express Mushroom Chicken copycat is spot on! I actually did a side by side comparison by buying a bowl of mushroom chicken and tried it side by side with my version. I dare say, it tastes pretty darn close.
This copycat Panda Express Mushroom Chicken has quickly become a weeknight favorite because of how simple it is to make. The chicken is marinated and then perfectly seared. Next the veggies are sautéed and mixed with a flavorful Asian sauce of garlic and ginger.
What you get is perfectly cooked chicken with mushrooms and zucchini in a light coating of Asian stir fry sauce. This Asian chicken stir fry goes perfectly with fresh steamed rice or noodles. It also makes great leftovers and reheats easily. Pack for lunch the next day for amazing tasting chicken stir fry leftovers.
How to Make Panda Express Mushroom Chicken Copycat
Start with thinly sliced chicken breast, about 1/4 inch thick. Next prepare the chicken stir fry marinade of soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, and Shaoxing wine. Let the chicken soak for at least 30 minutes or overnight. This helps add flavor to the chicken and tenderize it.
Prepare the mushrooms and zucchini and make your sauce while waiting for the chicken.
How to Saute Chicken to Get the Perfect Sear
- The pan or wok must be hot – Use a vegetable oil that’s safe for high heat. Avocado oil is what I used.
- Drip off excess marinade – Avoid pouring the marinading liquid into the pan.
- Don’t crowd the pan – The chicken should be spaced apart enough not to touch.
- Add in a single layer – Lay the chicken flat in a single layer; there should be no overlapping as this causes the chicken to steam.
- Do not touch – Leave the chicken alone until it gets a golden brown sear, about 30 seconds to 1 minute per side for 1/4 inch thick pieces.
This makes a wonderful all-purpose chicken stir fry marinade. It adds flavor to the chicken without overwhelming it and is versatile enough to go well with any Asian sauce. The chicken stir fry marinade helps brown the chicken as there’s a bit of brown sugar to help with caramelization.
Remove the chicken from the pan once it’s done, and add the mushrooms and zucchini. The pan should also be hot when sautéing the vegetables. This is important as the vegetables will release too much liquid if cooked over low heat, and you’ll end up steaming the vegetables instead of getting a golden brown sear.
Next add the chicken back into the pan along with the Asian stir fry sauce. Be sure to give your sauce a stir as the cornstarch settles. Saute everything together for 1 – 2 minutes and serve immediately. If you prefer less sauce, add about half of the sauce.
This Asian chicken stir fry can be served with steamed rice or noodles. You can even keep it lower carb and serve with lettuce cups or use in a wrap.
Suggestions for Panda Express Mushroom Chicken Copycat:
- Options to make it spicy (affiliate links):
- Other veggies:
I hope you make this Panda Express Mushroom Chicken Copycat recipe! Please share, rate, and comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates and occasional kitchen tips and tricks! Also come find me on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Stop by and leave me a message! I love reading your comments!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
You might like these other recipes!
Panda Express Mushroom Chicken Copycat Recipe
- 1 lb chicken breast thinly sliced, about ¼ inch thick
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 zucchini cut into half circles
- sesame seeds for garnish
- In a medium size bowl, combine the ingredients for the marinade and add in the thinly sliced chicken breast. I recommend letting this marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to overnight. Otherwise, let this sit while you prep the other ingredients.
- Heat a wok or pan over high heat. Wait until the pan is hot and then lay the chicken pieces flat in a single layer - leave out the marinade. In order to get a good sear, don't crowd the pan and leave the chicken pieces alone until you get a golden brown sear, anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute. Flip over the chicken and repeat. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add the mushrooms and zucchini to the pan and saute for 2 - 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and add the chicken back in.
- Next add in the sauce - use about half if you prefer less sauce(stir the sauce before adding it as the cornstarch will settle). Saute everything together for 1 - 2 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Top with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.