Refreshing watermelon agua fresca that's ready in 5 minutes! Fresh watermelon, water, lime juice & sweetener blended together to make a healthy, summer drink!
Watermelon agua fresca is light, refreshing fruit drink that's popular in Mexico. It's made with sweet, juicy watermelon, fresh squeezed lime juice, and water.
This is one of my favorite ways to serve watermelon during the summer months because of how delicious and hydrating this watermelon drink is. It's great for serving at large parties with friends and family!
For more flavors, check out How to Make Aguas Frescas – 7 Refreshing Flavors!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It's fast and easy to make! This is a simple 3 ingredient recipe that's ready in 5 minutes!
- This watermelon drink is excellent to serve at any outdoor get together! You can make it a day in advance and store it in the fridge.
- Watermelon is known to be cooling, thirst quenching, and hydrating!
- Add any herbs you want! Mint, rosemary, and basil are excellent flavors to infuse in this watermelon drink.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Watermelon - seedless watermelon is best since we'll be pureeing this in a high speed blender
- Cold, filtered water - this makes it easy to serve chilled agua fresca
- Lime - adjust the amount of lime juice according to your taste
- Sweetener - use any sweetener you'd like and adjust the amount according to how sweet the watermelon is
- Herbs - optional but I recommend mint, rosemary, or basil
Step by step instructions
Work in two batches to blend the watermelon with the water. Avoid filling the container more than two-thirds of the way full.
Straining the watermelon juice is optional but I recommend it for a smoother consistency.
Pour the watermelon juice in a large pitcher and add the lime juice, sweetener, and herbs. Adjust according to taste.
Chill it in the fridge before serving or serve it over ice.
Expert tips & tricks
- Make ahead one day in advance and store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
- If adding herbs, it's best to muddle them before adding it to the watermelon agua fresca. Let it infuse for about an hour before serving for best flavor.
- This recipe makes 8 cups of watermelon agua fresca.
- Serve over ice, garnished with a watermelon or lime slice.
- Add frozen watermelon chunks to your pitcher to keep it cold.
- Serve with fresh watermelon chunks in the glass for an extra treat!
More recipes to try:
- How to Make Aguas Frescas – 7 Refreshing Flavors
- Homemade Korean Strawberry Milk
- Refreshing Chia Fresca – Chia Lemonade
- Homemade Coconut Milk with Fresh or Shredded Coconut
- Watermelon Balls with Lime and Mint Simple Syrup
Watermelon Agua Fresca
- 8 cups watermelon - cut into large pieces
- 1 cup cold filtered water
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice - or more depending on taste
- fresh herbs - basil, mint, rosemary, thyme - (optional)
- watermelon or lime slices for garnish - (optional)
Sweetener (choose ONE of the following, adjust according to taste):
- 1 - 3 Tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 - 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 - 3 Tablespoons honey
- liquid stevia drops
- Working in two batches, add the water and watermelon in a high speed blender and blend together until it's smooth. Avoid filling your blender more than two-thirds of the way full.
- (Optional) Strain the watermelon through a medium sieve to remove the watermelon pulp and get a smooth consistency.
- Pour the blended watermelon juice in a large pitcher and stir in the lime juice and sweetener. Adjust according to how sweet your watermelon is. You may not need any if it's very sweet. If using fresh herbs, muddle them before adding to extract more flavor. Add more lime juice according to taste. Chill it in the fridge before serving or serve over ice. Makes 8 cups.
- Make 8 cups of watermelon agua fresca.
- Make ahead the day before. Store in an airtight container in the fridge before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for one day.
- This recipe is featured in How to Make Aguas Frescas - 7 Refreshing Flavors
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.