Korean banana milk or 'banana uyu' (바나나 우유) is a popular drink in Korea sold by Binggrae, a famous food and beverage company. This homemade version is made with fresh bananas, milk, sugar, and water and tastes just as delicious, if not better, than the store-bought version!
Korean banana milk is a tasty, refreshing drink that's made with just four ingredients and ready in only 2 minutes! All you need are bananas, sugar, water, and any milk of choice.
What is Korean Banana Milk?
Korean banana milk is a popular banana-flavored milk beverage first introduced in 1974 by Binggrae, a popular food and beverage company in Korea. At the time, it was flavored with bananas to entice Korean citizens to drink more milk. Now, it's gained a cult following and has a large global fanbase.
Banana milk is a great way to flavor your milk and it makes a fantastic snack for adults and kids alike. If you'd prefer strawberry-flavored milk, try my recipe for Korean Strawberry Milk, another popular Korean drink made by Binggrae!
- Bananas - Use ripe, spotted bananas for a sweeter flavor.
- Milk - Korean banana milk is traditionally made with dairy milk, but you can substitute it with any non-dairy milk you'd like. Almond, soy, and cashew milk are great options for vegan banana milk.
- Sugar - Add as much or as little as you'd like. Substitute with honey, agave, or maple syrup.
- Water - Water is used to thin the consistency for a silky, smooth texture. Use ice-cold water for best results.
How to Make Banana Milk
- Simple add all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with a slice of banana. It's best consumed immediately before any separation occurs. Enjoy!
Banana Milk Tips
You can find Korean banana milk in Korean grocery stores such as Hmart, in other Asian grocery stores. Outside of Korea, they're typically sold in tetra pack cartons, but in Korea, they're commonly sold in plastic bottles resembling the shape of a Korean earthenware pot.
Korean Banana Milk
- 1 large banana - ripe, spotted; peeled
- ¾ cup ice-cold milk
- ⅓ cup ice-cold water
- 1 to 3 teaspoons sugar - adjust to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract - (optional)
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend on high speed. Garnish with a banana slice and serve immediately as separation can occur over time. Enjoy!1 large banana, ¾ cup ice-cold milk, ⅓ cup ice-cold water, 1 to 3 teaspoons sugar, ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
✎ Recipe Notes
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.