Try this easy hoisin dipping sauce made with just five ingredients! Perfect for dipping Vietnamese spring rolls, lettuce wraps, Peking duck, dim sum & dumplings!
This easy hoisin dipping sauce is a delicious, versatile sauce that can be paired with a variety of Asian dishes.
It's a dark, syrupy sauce that's sweet and savory with garlic and various spices like chili. It's balanced nicely with brightness from fresh squeezed lime juice and topped with crunchy chopped peanuts for texture.
This makes a fantastic spring roll or summer roll dipping sauce and adds tons of flavor to mildly seasoned dishes.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's sweet, salty, and has tons of umami flavor from soybeans.
- There's a subtle hint of spice from chili pepper and other spices in the hoisin sauce.
- Only 5 ingredients needed.
- This sauce goes with everything - summer rolls, spring rolls, chicken lettuce wraps, vegetarian lettuce wraps, roasted duck, dim sum, dumplings, and more!
Ingredients you'll need
- hoisin sauce - a thick, sweet and savory sauce flavored with soybeans and spices
- lime juice - freshly squeezed is best
- garlic - leave this out if you don't like the taste of raw garlic or you can substitute with garlic powder
- crushed peanuts - for garnish
Set the water aside and mix the remaining ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
Depending on how thick your hoisin sauce is, you may need more or less water than the recipe states. Add the water according to how thick you'd like the dipping sauce to be.
Frequently Asked Questions
The ingredients are soybeans, sugar, salt, garlic, and other spices. The consistency is thick with a dark, rich color similar to soy sauce.
The taste is sweet, salty, umami, with a slight hint of spice that adds subtle heat to your palate. For most people, this would not be considered spicy but if you're sensitive, taste a small amount first.
Oyster sauce is made with oyster extracts instead of soybeans like hoisin sauce. They both taste sweet and savory with a lot of umami flavor but are made with different main ingredients.
Serve this with the following dishes:
- Fresh summer rolls
- Peking duck
- dim sum
- steamed buns
- egg rolls
Store leftovers in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
More sauces and dips:
- 3 Classic Spring Roll Dipping Sauces
- Vietnamese Peanut Sauce
- Spicy Asian Chimichurri Sauce
- Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus
- Remoulade Crab Cake Sauce
- Vegan Pumpkin Seed Pesto
More recipes using hoisin sauce:
- Sweet and Tangy Sticky Soy Glaze
- Sticky Asian Instant Pot Ribs
- PF Changs Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- PF Changs Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps
Easy Hoisin Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup hoisin sauce - - see Note 1
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons water
- 4 teaspoons lime juice - - freshly squeezed
- 1 clove garlic - - (optional) minced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped peanuts - - for garnish
- Set the water aside and mix the remaining ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Depending on how thick your hoisin sauce is, you may need to add more or less water.
- Add the water a teaspoon at a time until it reaches your desired consistency. Adjust for seasoning if needed. Makes ¾ cup of sauce.
✎ Recipe Notes
- Hoisin sauce can vary widely depending on the brand. Some are sweeter and thinner in consistency and others are too strongly flavored. I use and recommend this brand of hoisin sauce. It's what I see in most Asian restaurants and the flavor is always consistent.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serve these with fresh vegetarian summer rolls.
- This recipe is featured in 3 Classic Spring Roll Dipping Sauces.
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.