Try these PF Chang’s Inspired Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps! They’re easy to make, healthy, and vegan! Made with pan seared tofu and a flavorful Asian sauce!
These PF Chang’s inspired vegetarian lettuce wraps make an excellent meal or appetizer! Tender lettuce cups filled with Asian style ground tofu, crunchy chestnuts, mushrooms, and shredded carrots. Make these for an easy appetizer or a meal!
These vegetarian lettuce wraps are inspired by PF Chang’s vegetarian tofu lettuce wraps. I get them every time I go. In fact, anytime I see lettuce wraps on any menu, I have to get them. There’s something so simple and satisfying about them, and it makes me feel healthy because there’s a bit green that comes with it.
I think these are even better than PF Chang’s lettuce wraps. The big slices of mushrooms and the crunch and texture from the water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and carrots make you forget you’re eating tofu! One of the main complaints with tofu is that it’s bland and has no texture. But this recipe has tons of texture and flavor, making this an amazing vegetarian lettuce wrap!
Tips for PF Chang’s Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps:
The key to this lettuce wrap is to sear your tofu. Crumble it into a hot nonstick pan with oil and just let it sear. Don’t fuss with it or stir it too much, just let the pan do its thing. You’ll end up with more texture in your tofu this way and it’ll absorb more of the flavor.
It took me about 6 minutes to get a nice golden brown sear on my tofu but yours may take more or less time, depending on your stovetop and pan. Turn over a small piece of tofu and see if there’s color. Once it starts searing, add in the rest of the filling ingredients.
Since tofu can lack texture, I gave it some help by slicing the mushrooms, water chestnuts, and bamboo shoots on the thicker side. Tofu needs to be paired with crunchy vegetables and different textures, so make sure not to overcook your mushrooms and don’t chop your veggies too small.
Vegetarian Lettuce Wrap Sauce:
The sauce is a flavorful, versatile sauce that can be used in any stir fry dish. It’s a mixture of the following (affiliate links):
You need to try this vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce if you haven’t already. If you’re vegetarian or vegan, you will LOVE this and use it ALL THE TIME. It’s a thick, savory sauce with lots of umami that adds depth and a really nice flavor to these vegetarian lettuce wraps.
Stack two lettuce leaves on top of each other and spoon the filling into the center. Garnish with shredded carrots for extra crunch, cilantro leaves, and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy PF Chang’s Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps! Please share, rate, and comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Let’s stay connected! Find me on:
Want more? Check out these recipes!
PF Chang's Inspired Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps
- 14 oz firm tofu
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms sliced thick
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts about 1 cup, chopped
- 4 oz bamboo shoots about ½ cup, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ medium carrot shredded
- 1 head boston lettuce can substitute bibb or butterhead lettuce
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds optional for garnish
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves optional for garnish
- Heat a nonstick pan over high heat and add the oil. Crumble the tofu into the pan so it resembles ground tofu. Saute the tofu over high heat until the tofu starts to turn a light golden brown color. About 6 minutes.
- Lower to medium high heat. Add the mushrooms, onions, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and garlic. Saute for 1 - 2 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Add the sauce ingredients into the pan and saute for another 1 - 2 minutes. Taste and season for salt & pepper.
- Layer two leaves of lettuce on top of each other and spoon the tofu filling in the center. Garnish with shredded carrots, cilantro leaves, and sprinkle on sesame seeds.
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.