A super easy lemon blueberry bread recipe with walnuts and a golden crunchy crust. This lemon blueberry bread is so easy it's ready for the oven in 10 minutes!
I love this easy lemon blueberry bread for a quick breakfast, dessert, or snack! This would be perfect to have in the morning with a hot cup of coffee or tea. It has a bright citrus flavor from the lemon peel and juice with juicy blueberries scattered throughout. The crumb is soft and tender which contrasts wonderfully with a crunchy, golden brown crust. This lemon blueberry bread with walnuts is seriously addictive, I found myself going back for more.
This lemon blueberry bread is so easy to make. It literally takes less than 10 minutes to get it in the oven. All you have to do is mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, pour it into a baking pan, and then bake it in the oven. No creaming, no mixer needed, no melting butter. After an hour in the oven, you'll have a wonderful, lemon blueberry bread ready to eat!
This lemon blueberry walnut bread is what's considered a quick bread. Quick breads are some of the easiest recipes to make, even for novice bakers. So you might be asking...
What is Quick Bread?
In a nutshell, a quick bread is any bread that's leavened without yeast. Take for instance, pancakes, muffins, scones, or banana bread. You don't have to sit around waiting for the dough to rise like you do with traditional yeasted bread. That's the same idea with this easy lemon blueberry bread. Here are the basic properties of a quick bread:
- no yeast required
- leavened through baking powder and/or baking soda
- during the baking process, the baking powder/soda react with other ingredients to produce carbon dioxide which leavens the bread, creating a lighter, airy texture.
- quick breads are known for being reliable, quick, and producing a relatively uniform crumb, unlike yeasted breads which can take hours to rise and tend to be more fickle with temperature and humidity.
This easy lemon blueberry bread with walnuts is the definition of a "quick bread." You won't believe how easy it is to make and how delicious it'll come out. My favorite part of this bread was the perfect, golden brown crust. It's crunchy, sweet, and crumbly. It reminds me of the edges of a cookie!
If you're like me and prefer the crust of baked goods, you'll love this recipe for the crust alone.
Tips for Easy Lemon Blueberry Bread:
- Don't over stir - you won't end up with a soft delicate crumb if you stir too much. Stir until just combined and then leave it alone
- Leave the add-ins for last and gently fold them in. You don't want to mash the blueberries because they'll bleed into the dough leaving you with a funky purple streaked bread. Unless of course, you're going for that look. 🙂
- Coat your add-ins with flour - this prevents them from sinking in the dough. You want your blueberries to be well-dispersed in the bread and coating them with flour will keep them in place.
Using frozen blueberries helps the flour to adhere to the blueberries (pictured below since I used frozen blueberries). If using fresh blueberries, coat them with flour right after you've washed the blueberries so they have something to stick to.
If you'd like to make one loaf, pour the batter into a medium size loaf pan, which is what I used. For two smaller loafs, I've used two of these small loaf pans before and they came out perfect!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please share, rate, and comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Let’s stay connected! Come find me on:
Want more? Check out these other recipes!
Easy Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe
- ⅔ cup greek yogurt - or sour cream; recommend full fat for both
- ¾ cup oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 ⅓ cup all purpose flour - plus additional 1 ½ Tablespoons
- 1 ⅓ cup white sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups blueberries - fresh or frozen; if using frozen, do not thaw ahead of time
- 1 ½ cup walnuts - chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients and the sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Toss the blueberries in the 1½ Tablespoons of flour until it's well coated and set aside. This will prevent the berries from sinking to the bottom.
- Add in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix together until well combine.
- Gently fold in the lemon zest, lemon juice, blueberries, and walnuts until just combined. Do not over mix in this step.
- Fill up two well-greased small loaf pans and bake them in the oven for about an hour or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Or fill a single well-greased medium loaf pan and bake in the oven for about an hour and 45 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. If the crust starts to get too dark, loosely cover it with foil.
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.
We make this every sunday morning - it is delicious, and perfect with coffee. We love to sit outside (weather permitting) with a big pot of coffee, and this fresh from the oven. Bliss!
Thank you so much Faye! That sounds wonderful enjoying this with coffee. So glad this is a weekly recipe for you! 🙂
I have made this bread three times this week! I used raspberries once when I didn't have any blueberries, and that worked well also. This is really delicious. We have enjoyed it with many cups of tea and coffee.
Lizet Flores de Bowen
I've been meaning to make this for a while. Those blueberries don't last long enough to bake anything 😅
Delicious! lovely crumb. Great recipe.
Thank you so much Lizet!! I know what you mean, fresh blueberries get eaten so fast around our house too! So glad you got to try this recipe and loved it! 😀
What a beautiful loaf! I'm a bit of a snacker and this is definitely the sort of thing I'd love with a cup of tea. I can't wait to make it!
Self admitted snacker here too! I could go all day just grazing on food. This is definitely a good snack to have on hand. Hope you enjoy it! 🙂
Lemon and blueberries go SO well together and this bread sounds like the perfect afternoon treat. YUM
Yes they do! Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy this! I had many afternoon treats with this bread haha
Blueberries and lemon are a match made in heaven! I can't wait to try this!
Isn't it? I love that flavor combo. I hope you enjoy this! 🙂
Such a delicious mix between a cake and sweet bread! Im a sucker for anything lemon and bread, so putting them together sounds like heaven to me!
Thank you so much! I love anything lemony and citrus-y too. Oh that gives me the idea of making a citrus sweet bread!
This looks fantastic! I agree that you need to be careful stirring in the blueberries. I never like that swirly purple look in my blueberry bread.
Thank you and agreed about stirring the blueberries! They're such delicate and delicious little things 🙂