This is a luscious, silky, smooth vanilla sauce that’s so versatile and easy to make. Makes an amazing bread pudding sauce! Pair this with any dessert!
This custard vanilla sauce has a perfect consistency, not too thick, not too thin. Deliciously smooth and just the right amount of sweetness. It's fantastic as a bread pudding sauce, tastes incredible drizzled over fresh fruit, or paired with any baked good.
This is also known as creme anglaise, vanilla custard sauce, bread pudding sauce, or vanilla cream sauce. You can see there are a lot of uses for this versatile sauce.
Try it with this recipe for Custard Bread Pudding. The bread pudding sauce adds a silky, smooth layer for extra indulgence.
Or try it with this recipe for Baked Cinnamon Apples for an elegant dessert. Perfect for dinner parties!
This custard vanilla sauce is super versatile and can be made with any kind of milk. I used whole milk for a creamier, richer flavor but if you're looking for a lighter cream sauce, you can skip the half and half and make this entirely with milk. Just double the amount of milk and it will still taste amazing. You can make this with skim milk or even non-dairy milk! Whatever combination you use, it will be divine!
Custard Vanilla Sauce Tips:
- When adding the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks, add in a ladle at a time in a narrow stream while whisking quickly. This is tempering the egg yolks so that they don't curdle.
- Add the vanilla extract once the sauce is removed from the heat and the sauce has cooled somewhat. This ensures the vanilla flavor doesn't cook off in a hot pot.
- Run the sauce through a fine sieve for a smooth, silky consistency.
Want more? Check out these other recipes!
Easy Vanilla Sauce Recipe | Bread Pudding Sauce
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste - or vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- Add the milk and half and half to a pot and bring to a slight simmer. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl. Slowly ladle all the warm milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture while whisking quickly. Adding it too quickly will cook the egg yolks and cause the sauce to curdle.
- Return to the mixture to the pot and heat over medium low until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. About 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat, add the vanilla once it cools.
- Strain the sauce if desired. Serve warm or chill in the refrigerator.
✎ Recipe Notes
- Makes a little over 1 cup of vanilla sauce.
- To reheat, add the vanilla sauce to a small pot and reheat it on the stovetop over very low heat, while constantly stirring. Remove it from the heat once it's warmed through.
- Overheating can cause the sauce to curdle so keep stirring and watch it closely.
- Keep it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Cover the top surface with a layer of plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
- Avoid freezing this as it can alter the texture once thawed.
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.
This is the perfect Vanilla Sauce Recipe ! The flavor and consistency is perfect and I will be tucking this recipe into my recipe box to never forget. We served this over baked and apple dumplings and it was amazing.
This Pudding sauce looks so creamy and delicious. I would love to try it on few desserts. Thanks for sharing.
This is such a great recipe to have because it is easier to control the amount of sugar than when you get the premade ones and this is so much tastier as well!
Oh yum! I would drizzle this over almost everything! Good tip about how to not curdle the sauce as I tend to overdo it so I'll try your method next time.
I love your post. My husband loves bread pudding, but I never make it. You inspired me, so I will follow your guide and make the vanilla sauce; it looks amazing! Wish me luck! Thanks for a terrific post and recipe.
Just tried this recipe and my family loved it. Thank you so much!
This is so good. I paired it with some sticky gingerbread. 😋
Dessert ready in minutes. So very creamy, delicious, quick and easy too.
I made this to serve over my Apple Crumb Pie. Fabulous!!
Thanks for trying it Sylva! So happy you loved it!
This looks so delicious and tasty! I can’t wait to give this recipe a try! My son is going to love this!
I love a good vanilla custard! I haven't had bread pudding in a while and now I'm craving some like whoa. I can't wait to make both of these over the weekend!
I had been testing some pastry recipes, and had some scraps left over. I cooked them up with a sprinkle of sugar, and made a batch of this sauce. We had a lot of fun dipping the pastry into the sauce! Delicious!
Thanks Harriet! That's a great idea to use this as a vanilla dipping sauce! So glad you enjoyed it!
The photos look so good! I can't wait to make some bread pudding and fill it with vanilla sauce!
Really easy to prepare - I served mine with some fruit cake, and it was really delicious. If you're anything like me though, I recommend making a large batch as I couldn't stop eating it with a spoon!!
Thank you Eloise! That's a great idea to serve the vanilla sauce with fruit cake! I'm so glad you enjoyed this recipe!
This is incredibly good! Flavors are well balanced and easy to make! Loved it!
I love how versatile this vanilla sauce is. I think I will try it on bread pudding first.
Delicious and just the right amount of sweetness. Made this to accompany a friend's dessert and everyone loved it.
If you make and chill the sauce afte ahead of time what is the best way to heat?
You can reheat the vanilla sauce by placing it in a small pot and reheat it over very low heat while constantly stirring. If it gets overheated, it can curdle. Hope you enjoy!
This custard sauce is so delicious! Very creamy and smooth.
this custard is so easy to make, I make this to serve with any desserts.
Love this vanilla sauce and the idea or serving it with baked apples is delightful. We all need to learn the basics and this recipe is a keeper!