This foolproof Asian flank steak marinade has brown sugar, soy sauce, mirin & garlic. Marinate overnight for tender, juicy Asian marinated flank steak! Top with a spicy Asian chimichurri sauce for chimichurri steak.
This is a foolproof recipe for Asian flank steak marinade! You'll end up with tender, juicy steak that just melts in your mouth. This Asian steak marinade adds a delicious sweet and savory flavor from the brown sugar, soy sauce, and mirin. Top with a spicy Asian chimichurri sauce for an unforgettable chimichurri steak dinner!
Growing up in an Asian household, I ate a lot of Asian marinated steak. My favorite part was the caramelized marinade on the outside of the steak which intensifies in flavor during the cooking process. This Asian flank steak marinade gives you that caramelization because of the brown sugar and mirin. The mirin also acts to tenderize the meat during the marination. If you love Korean marinated beef, you'll love this marinade as the flavors are very similar.
Spicy Asian Chimichurri Steak
I always crave fresh greens when eating a heavy meal which is why I love chimichurri steak. Pair your Asian marinated flank steak with this herbaceous, spicy Asian chimichurri sauce made with parsley, cilantro, basil, and hot chilis peppers.
Asian Steak Marinade Uses:
This marinade can be used on the following cuts of meat:
- flank steak
- skirt steak
- flat iron
- galbi - Korean short ribs
- bulgogi - thinly sliced Korean beef
How to Make Asian Marinated Flank Steak:
Prepare the Asian flank steak marinade
- soy sauce
- brown sugar
Let the flank steak marinate for at least 6 hours but I recommend overnight for a more tender steak.
Bring the steak to room temperature before cooking as this ensures consistent cooking throughout.
For a medium rare steak, the internal temperature should reach 130 degrees F before removing it from the heat. This was about 6 - 7 minutes of cooking on both sides for a 1 inch thick flank steak.
I recommend using a cast iron pan as this holds heat consistently and longer.
Let the steak rest for 5 minutes loosely covered so the juices redistribute into the steak. Slice thinly and top with spicy Asian chimichurri sauce.
I hope you try this foolproof Asian flank steak marinade! Please share, rate, and comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates and occasional kitchen tips and tricks! Also come find me on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Stop by and leave me a message! I love reading your comments!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
You might like these other recipes!
Asian Chimichurri Steak | Foolproof Asian Flank Steak Marinade
- 1½ lb flank steak can substitute skirt steak or flat iron
- 2 Tablespoons clarified butter
- spicy Asian chimichurri sauce to serve on the side
- Place the flank steak into a large ziplock bag. Mix together the ingredients for the Asian steak marinade and add it to the flank steak. Using the plastic bag, massage the steak and make sure the marinade evenly covers the steak. Let the flank steak marinate in the fridge for at least 6 hours. Overnight is recommended.
- Take the flank steak out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature as this ensures even cooking. Add clarified butter to a pan and heat over medium high heat until it just barely starts to smoke. Remove the steak from the bag, drip off the excess, and lay it flat on your hot pan.
- For medium rare steak: Leave the steak to sear on one side for about 6 - 7 minutes for a 1 inch thick steak. Then flip it over and leave it to sear on the other side for another 6 - 7 minutes. If using a meat thermometer, check that the internal temperature of your steak is 130° which will get you a medium rare done steak. Adjust the cooking time according to how you like your steak.
- Place the steak on a plate, loosely cover with foil, and let it rest for 5 - 6 minutes to let the juices redistribute into the meat. Serve the flank steak with spicy Asian chimichurri sauce.
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.