These Instant Pot Korean Short Ribs are rich, beefy, and so tender and succulent they fall right off the bone! Cooked in a sweet and savory soy based sauce, this will be your favorite way to make Korean short ribs!
These Instant Pot Korean short ribs are one of my favorite Korean meals to have! They’re cooked in a sweet and savory soy based sauce and always accompanied by root vegetables. It’s an extremely satisfying meal that you’ll crave over and over again. I’m particularly partial to this dish during the colder season when I crave something warm and hearty.
Whenever I have these Instant Pot Korean short ribs, I think of my childhood and how we only ate this meal when it was a special occasion. Back in the day before Instant Pots, my mom would slave over the kitchen for hours, braising these short ribs on the stove top until the whole house smelled absolutely amazing. After spending all day smelling these short ribs, we would devour them in minutes and would wonder when the next time we’d have them again. Now that we have Instant Pots, we could have these more often and in a fraction of the time!
With the Instant Pot, I can have these on my plate in under 90 minutes which is quite a big improvement from spending hours in the kitchen. Don’t get me wrong, of course there’s a time and place for amazing slow cooked recipes and they are fantastic in their own right, but I much prefer my Korean short ribs as soon as possible.
Tips for Instant Pot Korean Short Ribs:
Start with thick cut short ribs. These are almost always available at Korean grocery stores if you have them in your area. Otherwise ask your butcher for English Style short ribs, which means the ribs are cut parallel to the bone.
Before cooking the short ribs, soak them in cold water while preparing the other ingredients. This helps remove any bone fragments and will help keep the sauce clear when cooked.
Add all your ingredients to the Instant Pot container along with the soaked short ribs. I find there’s no need to finely chop the onion, garlic, or apple since they will all melt together once the dish is finished.
Set to 35 minutes on the Pressure Cook setting and…relax. Watch some tv, go read a book, pet your dog.After it’s done cooking, I recommend waiting about 10 – 15 minutes before releasing the pressure. This helps further tenderize the meat and continue cooking. Remove the meat and cover it with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.
Next set your Instant Pot to the Saute setting and add your carrots and potatoes. Let this cook and reduce for about 15 – 20 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are cooked through and the sauce is reduced to your liking. Add the ribs back in along with a little bit of sesame oil.
Serve over rice and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please share, rate, and comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Let’s stay connected! Come find me on:
Want more? Check out these other recipes!
Instant Pot Korean Style Short Ribs
- 3 lbs short ribs English style
- 3 medium red potatoes cut into 1.5 inch pieces
- 2 large carrots cut into 1.5 inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- Soak your short ribs in cold water while gathering the remaining ingredients. This helps remove any bone fragments and keep the sauce clear when cooked.
- Add all the ingredients for the braising sauce into the instant pot container along with the short ribs. Leave out the carrots and potatoes for now.
- Set the timer for 35 minutes on Pressure Cook. Wait 10 minutes before releasing the pressure to allow the short ribs to further tenderize.
- Remove and place the short ribs on a plate and cover them with plastic wrap.
- Add the carrots and potatoes to the Instant Pot and set the setting to 'Saute' to thicken up the sauce and cook the carrots and potatoes. About 15 - 20 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to your liking. Remove the piece of ginger. Add the short ribs back in and add the sesame oil. Serve over rice.