Quick & easy Instant Pot vegan butternut squash soup that's ready in a flash! Smooth & creamy with a hint of sweetness. Inspired by Panera Autumn Squash Soup!
This Instant Pot vegan butternut squash soup is so simple and easy to make! This soup is creamy, nutty, and smooth with a subtle hint of sweetness from the granny smith apple. If you love Panera autumn squash soup, you'll love this recipe!
What I love about this Instant Pot vegan butternut squash soup is how creamy and rich it is considering there's no dairy! The coconut milk adds a rich, luscious taste to this butternut squash soup that's soothing and comforting. And if you're in the mood for spicy butternut squash soup, you can add in optional spices to give it a kick.
Panera autumn squash soup includes carrots, apple, and a hint of curry, which is also included in this recipe. The big difference with my recipe is that I opted to make this vegan and skip the dairy. Instead I used lite coconut milk which in my opinion, makes this soup taste even better!
To finish, garnish this soup with some crunchy roasted pumpkin seeds for a bit of texture. This recipe is versatile and can be modified according to your tastes. Here are a few suggestions:
Instant Pot Vegan Butternut Squash Soup Variations:
Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
- curry powder
- ginger powder
- cayenne powder
More Herbs & Seasoning:
- dried basil
- smoked paprika
- sweet potatoes
- Toasted quinoa
- fried onions
- garlic croutons
- toasted chopped nuts - almonds, walnuts, cashews
- drizzle of olive oil or coconut cream
How to Make Instant Pot Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Peel, Cut, and Chop Your Butternut Squash
- First, cut the butternut squash where the neck and bulb meet.
- Next peel the outer skin using a peeler or a paring knife. The skin is thick so make sure to get the entire peel off including the white part underneath the outer peel and the green vein running through the peel.
- Afterwards, use a spoon to take out the seeds. You can save this later for roasting if you prefer.
- Lastly, chop the butternut squash into about 1 inch pieces.
Add butternut squash, carrots, apples, and herbs to the Instant Pot. You only need 10 minutes on Manual Pressure Cook.
Next, blend the butternut squash soup until you get a smooth consistency using an immersion blender or regular blender.
Finally top with roasted pumpkin seeds or any other crunchy topping for texture. Or you can drizzle on a little olive oil or coconut milk on top. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this Instant Pot vegan butternut squash soup, Panera autumn squash soup! Please share, rate, and comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates and occasional kitchen tips and tricks! Also come find me on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Stop by and leave me a message! I love reading your comments!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
You might like these other recipes!
Instant Pot Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash - cut into 1 inch size pieces, about 6 cups
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14 oz lite coconut milk - about 1½ cups
- 2 medium carrots - chopped into 1 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- 1 small granny smith apple - seeded and chopped, about ½ cup
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 dried bay leaf
- few sprigs of thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds - for garnish
Optional spices for Spicy Butternut Squash Soup (add all or some):
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- Set aside the coconut milk and roasted pumpkin seeds for later. Add the butternut squash, vegetable broth, carrots, onions, apple, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme to the Instant Pot. Add in any optional spices at this time if you want spicy butternut squash soup.
- Set the Instant Pot to "Manual Pressure Cook" for 10 minutes. Once it's done, wait 5 - 10 minutes then use the "Quick Release" valve to release the steam and open the lid once the float valve has dropped.
- Take out the bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Add the coconut milk. Then use an immersion blender to blend the soup. Or you can also ladle the soup into a blender and blend until you get a smooth consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds.
✎ Recipe Notes
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.
This soup is so good, and easy! I didn't have any thyme, so I used some dried oregano, and it tasted amazing! We made a double batch, and froze the leftovers. I am already looking forward to eating them!
It is winter here in Australia, and this is a hug in a bowl! SO good - the flavours are really lovely, and we love the addition of the apple!
Thanks Estella! It's such a great soup to have when it's cold outside! 🙂
I just bought a butternut squash yesterday and was looking for some inspiration. I'm making this soup for dinner tonight. I love all the flavors and spices you've used.
we loooove coconut milk in this house, and an easy orange soup made in the instant pot is a keeper! definitely saving this, thanks!!
The color of this soup is absolutely gorgeous! Butternut squash is the perfect soup for fall weather!
Yum! I just had the autumn squash soup at Panera the other day and was wondering if I could make it at home. This is so good!
I love butternut squash soup at this time of year. The spicier the better for me.
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry
What a perfect Autumn recipe! Love making soups in my Instant Pot so will give this a try.
This soup looks so beautiful and vibrant!
I made this soup for dinner last night and it was so delicious! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
Mmm this soup looks so good! The color is just perfect and I love that you added apples - I bet it gives a nice touch. As soon as I get an instant pot... 😉
Alexandra @ It's Not Complicated Recipes
This looks so divine, Jamie! I love the vibrant colour. The perfect fall soup 🙂
Thanks so much Alex! It's so good during this fall weather! 🙂
I recently purchased an instant pot and would like to try this! I haven't made any soup with it but yours looks so perfect and creamy!
Thank you Whitney! Oh you'll love the instant pot for making soups and stews. It's so convenient! 🙂
Awesome and flavorful combination of Ingredients to making this creamy and delightful soup. I love the color too.
Thanks Veena! I love the color of the soup too!
Butternut Soup is the best! Love your addition of apples. Delicious!
Yes isn't it? The apples added just the perfect amount of sweetness! 🙂
What a perfect fall recipe. Looks so creamy, warm and delicious!
Thank you Noelle! It's such a good soup to have during the fall! 🙂
This looks like a perfect meal on a cool fall day. I love butternut squash soup, but have never tried to make it. I have to try this recipe!
I love having soups in the fall too! Give this a try Sara, you'll love it! 🙂