Try this tasty honey garlic chicken stir fry for an easy, healthy meal! Tender pan seared chicken breast stir fried in a sweet & sticky honey garlic sauce.
This honey garlic chicken stir fry is covered with a sweet, garlicky honey sauce that sticks to your fingers! Made with lean chicken breast and paired with steamed broccoli. It's a simple, healthy meal that's perfect for any night of the week!
If you're a fan of sweet and savory pairings, you'll love this dish. The honey flavor really comes through in this dish so use the best honey you can get your hands on. It makes a difference! I reduced the amount of soy sauce I normally use in my stir fry recipes because it can compete with the subtle honey flavor. Instead, I added just one tablespoon of soy sauce and seasoned the rest with salt. Salt has a cleaner taste which doesn't overpower the honey flavor.
For the garlic lovers, feel free to add as much garlic as you'd like! I used three cloves which added a pretty good amount of garlic flavor but I know people that can handle a lot more so add as much (or as little) as you'd like. After all, if you're making honey garlic chicken stir fry, you should taste the honey and the garlic, right?
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
Start by Marinating the Chicken
I always marinate my protein when making stir fry because of the following:
- it tenderizes the meat
- helps with browning
- adds more flavor
Even if it's just for 5 minutes, marinate your protein before stir frying. It makes a big difference!
It also helps to slice your chicken breast into thin strips because it allows the meat to absorb more of the marinade. In addition, the thin strips allow the chicken to lay flat in your wok or pan which increases the surface area that's on the cooking surface. This helps get you that golden brown sear which adds even more flavor.
Add in the Honey Garlic Stir Fry Sauce
When the chicken breast is cooked through, add your honey garlic sauce and let it thicken in your pan or wok for a couple minutes. It should start to bubble up on itself and look sticky and glossy. Turn off the heat and serve your honey garlic chicken stir fry with steamed broccoli and steamed rice.
I hope you enjoy this honey garlic chicken stir fry! Please share, rate, and comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for recipe updates and occasional kitchen tips and tricks! Also come find me on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Stop by and leave me a message! I love reading your comments!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
You might like these other recipes!
Easy Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- 1 lb chicken breast - thinly sliced, about ¼ inch
- 1 head broccoli - cut into florets
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil - can substitute any vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1½ Tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
Honey Garlic Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons chicken stock
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- ¾ teaspoon ginger - grated
- salt to taste
- In a medium size bowl, combine the ingredients for the marinade and add in the thinly sliced chicken breast. I recommend letting this marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to overnight. Otherwise, you can let this sit while you prep the other ingredients.
- Combine the ingredients for the honey garlic sauce in a small bowl. Set aside. Note: This recipe calls for less soy sauce so it doesn't overpower the honey flavor. Add salt to taste in the sauce or season right before serving.
- Steam your broccoli - Add an inch of water to a small pot and bring to a boil. Use a steamer basket and add in the broccoli. Let it steam for 5 minutes or until tender but still crisp. If you don't have a steamer basket, you can boil your broccoli in about ½ inch of boiling water for about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Heat a wok or pan over high heat and add the oil. Wait until the pan is hot and then lay the chicken pieces flat in a single layer. In order to get a good sear, don't crowd the pan and leave the chicken pieces alone until you get a golden brown sear, anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute. Flip over the chicken and add in the honey garlic sauce. Continue to stir fry together for 1 to 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Serve with steamed broccoli and rice.
✎ Recipe Notes
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.
Super tasty - we are big garlic fans, so this recipe immediately appealed! We used cauliflower instead of broccoli as that is what we had in the crisper.. but so good. I can imagine we could easily enjoy this every week.
Thanks Annabel! So glad you enjoyed it!
This recipe made me feel really rather nostalgic, as my mom made a similar dish when we were growing up! I hadn't eaten it in so long, so I made it for her the other night when she came over for dinner. We both agreed it was very delicious, and we loved the memories it brought back from years gone by!
Thanks so much Greta! Glad you and your mom enjoyed it. 🙂
I love so many things about this recipe... that you use healthy chicken breast, your tips about cutting it to it absorbs more of that delicious sauce, and that delicious sauce! Yum! I could eat this every day.
Sally @ Savory With Soul
Much better than takeout! My whole family will love it.
The marinade really puts this recipe over the top. It's better than take-out!
Garlic and chicken is a can't miss combination! Love this!
I am a huge fan of sweet and savory pairings so I know my entire family will enjoy this easy and healthy meal.