These keto taco avocado boats are a tasty twist on Mexican tacos by using avocado taco boats! It's an easy low carb meal using taco-stuffed avocados! Best of all, it's only 7 grams of net carbs!
These taco avocado boats are the perfect low-carb meal for the summertime! I love any kind of twist on Mexican food, and these keto taco avocado boats are the perfect twist on the traditional taco.
My favorite thing about this recipe is how it marries two of my favorite Mexican dishes - guacamole and tacos! How can you go wrong with this combination?
These avocado boats feature creamy, fatty avocado topped with spicy taco meat filling and then finished with a squeeze of zesty lime.
Ingredients for Avocado Boats
- Avocados - Choose avocados that are still firm but with a bit of give when gently squeezed. Or you can buy them when completely firm and ripen them on your countertop.
- Taco Filling - Use any choice of meat for the filling and season with taco seasoning. This is a great way to use up leftover taco filling.
- Toppings - I used tomatoes, red onions, and lime.
How to Make Avocado Boats
- Start with your taco filling, which is naturally keto-friendly. I added chili powder and some warming spices like coriander, cumin, and paprika. Add a dash of cayenne powder to make it spicy!
- While your meat is cooking, chop all the veggies for your taco toppings. Use whatever you would normally put on your tacos. Once your taco meat is ready, all you have to do is assemble the avocado boats.
Serving suggestions for Taco Avocado Boats
- Serve as an appetizer, side, or main entree
- Add whole lettuce leaves and make lettuce tacos
- Add your favorite hot sauce or salsa for added heat
- Perfect for a picnic or bbq since they come in their own bowl!
Keto Taco Avocado Boats
- 2 avocados - large
- 1 lb lean ground meat - beef, chicken, turkey can be used
- ⅓ cup yellow onions - diced
- ⅓ cup tomatoes - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder - optional for spice
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup lettuce - shredded
- ½ cup diced tomatoes - diced
- ¼ cup red onions - diced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoon cotija cheese - feta can be substituted
- lime wedges
- Add oil to a large pan and saute the yellow onions over medium high heat. When it starts to get translucent, add the ground meat and break it apart with a spatula as it cooks. Once cooked through, drain any excess grease from the pan.1 lb lean ground meat, ⅓ cup yellow onions, 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Next, add the taco seasonings along with ¼ cup of water and allow it to simmer over medium low heat. Once most of the water has reduced, turn off the heat.⅓ cup tomatoes, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon coriander, ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder, salt & pepper to taste
- Cut your avocados in half and remove the pit. Rub lime juice on the surface to keep them from browning.2 avocados
- Generously scoop the taco filling into your avocado halves and add the taco toppings. Sprinkle cotija cheese and top and finish with a squeeze of lime.½ cup lettuce, ½ cup diced tomatoes, ¼ cup red onions, ¼ cup cilantro leaves, 3 tablespoon cotija cheese, lime wedges
✎ Recipe Notes
- 7 grams net carbs per avocado half
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.