Try these easy stir fried sugar snap peas flavored with sesame seeds, toasted sesame oil, garlic, and soy sauce! It's an easy recipe for crunchy sugar snap peas ready in 10 minutes! Vegetarian and low carb friendly!
Stir fried sugar snap peas are one of the easiest side dishes to make! It's ready in 10 minutes and goes great with just about any Asian dish.
These sugar snap peas are quickly stir fried in a hot pan or wok and flavored with sesame seeds, sesame oil, soy sauce, and garlic. It's a versatile recipe that can be easily adapted.
Add some sweetener, dried chili flakes, sriracha, and fresh herbs to make it spicy and more strongly flavored. These Asian snap peas are vegan, low carb friendly, and can be made gluten free to accommodate any dietary needs.
- Sugar snap peas - look for ones with a firm outer shell that's free of blemishes.
- Toasted sesame oil - be sure to get the toasted sesame oil. This adds a deeper, nuttier flavor than regular, untoasted sesame oil.
- Soy sauce - use tamari or liquid aminos to keep it gluten free.
- Heat a pan or wok over medium high heat and add the vegetable oil.
- Once the pan is hot, add the sugar snap peas, garlic, and soy sauce.
- Stir fry for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the sugar snap peas are tender crisp and have turned a bright green color. Add the toasted sesame oil, black and white sesame seeds, and season to taste.
An optional step is to trim the stem and remove the string by pulling it down the length of the pod. This helps remove the tough fiber.
Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container. They're delicious served cold, at room temperature, or heated.
Stir Fried Sugar Snap Peas with Garlic and Sesame
Optional Flavors (add one or more according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes - add more for spice
- 1 teaspoon sugar - add more depending on taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger - minced
- (Optional) Remove the stems and string from the sugar snap peas by breaking off the stem and pulling it down the length of the pod to remove the string.
- Stir Fry: Heat a wok or pan over medium high heat and add the vegetable oil. Once hot, add the sugar snap peas, garlic, soy sauce, and optional flavorings (if using). Stir fry everything together for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the sugar snap peas are tender crisp and have turned bright green.
- Garnish and serve: Turn off the heat and add the toasted sesame oil and black and white sesame seeds. Season to taste. Top with fresh herbs (if using) and serve immediately.
✎ Recipe Notes
- Make sure the wok or pan is hot before adding the sugar snap peas. You should hear an immediate sizzle when it touches the pan.
- Avoid overcrowding the pan to prevent steaming the sugar snap peas. This helps them stay crisp yet tender without releasing too much liquid.
- Store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- They can be served cold, at room temperature, or heated in the microwave.
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.