A simple Korean mushroom side dish that's ready in under 10 minutes! Shiitake mushrooms stir fried with sesame oil & garlic. Perfect in bibimbap or kimbap!
This Korean shiitake mushroom side dish is one of the easiest and fastest Korean side dishes (banchan) you can make! It's best served with a fresh bowl of steamed rice.
You can use any type of mushroom in this vegan side dish but I opted with shiitake mushrooms because of their strong, earthy flavor and hearty texture.
In Korea, this stir fried mushroom side dish is called 'beosut bokkeum.' 'Beosut' means mushroom and 'bokkeum' means stir fried. This translates to stir fried mushrooms.
A lot of Korean side dishes (banchan) are meant to be simple and fast to prepare. This is a great example of one of those since this is ready in under 10 minutes and only requires 5 ingredients.
This is an excellent vegan Korean side dish as the shiitake mushrooms have a meaty texture and flavor. There's also lots of umami which is perfect for vegetarians and vegans.
How to Make Korean Mushroom Side Dish
Make sure your pan is hot before adding the thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms.
Saute the mushrooms with garlic, sesame oil, and scallions. After about 3 minutes, the mushrooms will soften and release some liquid. At this point, turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a bowl of fresh steamed rice
- Add as a topping to bibimbap
- Add as a filling in kimbap
- Topping for buddha/Korean rice bowls
- Topping for any Asian noodle soups or noodle bowls
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Hope you enjoy this Korean shiitake mushroom side dish! Leave any comments or questions below!
Let’s stay connected! Find me on:
Want more? Check out these other recipes!
Korean Shiitake Mushroom Side Dish
- 4 large shiitake mushrooms - thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ stalk scallion
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Once it's hot, add the shiitake mushrooms, sesame oil, scallions, and garlic. Saute for about 3 to 4 minutes until the mushrooms soften and release some liquid. Turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with steamed rice.
✎ Recipe Notes
- Leftovers: store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days
- Serve with steamed rice or add to bibimbap, kimbap, or a Korean rice bowl.
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.