This vegan gravy is made of mushrooms, vegetable broth, garlic, and onions. It's thickened with flour and is great with biscuits or roasted veggies! Serve with any sides during Thanksgiving and Christmas!
This easy vegan gravy with mushrooms is full of savory, umami flavor! It's made with sautéed mushrooms, vegetable stock, and onion and garlic powder.
It's great for Thanksgiving or Christmas and can be paired with any side dishes such as biscuits and roasted vegetables.
What makes the vegetarian gravy different is the addition of soy sauce for a darker color. If you find veggie gravy to be too pale for your liking, add a splash of soy sauce, tamari, or liquid aminos. You can't taste the soy sauce but you can see the difference in color!
- Mushrooms - Use any variety of mushrooms you'd like. I used baby bella or crimini mushrooms but any combination of white button mushrooms, oysters, porcini, portobello, or chanterelle mushrooms will do.
- Stock or broth - Use a good quality vegetable stock. Check the ingredients in the back and avoid ones that use artificial flavorings.
- Flour - Use all purpose flour. This is what will thicken the gravy.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, onion powder, bay leaf.
How to Make Vegan Gravy
- Slice the mushrooms about 1 cm thick and sauté with vegetable oil. Set this aside.
- Add the flour and vegetable oil and stir continuously for about 2 minutes until a thick paste forms.
- Next, add a bit of stock at a time and stir vigorously with a whisk until it's smooth and lump free. Add the rest of the stock, sautéed mushrooms, onion powder, garlic powder, and bay leaf.
- If you prefer a darker gravy, add a bit of soy sauce.
- Boil until thick and smooth, about 3 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Ways to Serve Vegan Gravy
Serve this vegan gravy with any of the following for a delicious meal!
- Roasted vegetables
- Vegan roast
- Mashed Potatoes
This will thicken as it sets and cools. You can reheat it on the stovetop or the microwave while stirring occasionally.
To prevent lumps, add a small amount of stock slowly and stir vigorously with a whisk. Once smooth and lump free, add the remaining stock while continuously stirring.
I recommend consuming within 3 days. Store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge.
To make gravy without stock, substitute with vegetarian bouillon cubes, stock powder, or stock concentrate/paste. Use according to the directions.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please share, rate, or comment below. I'd love to hear from you!
Thanks so much for stopping by! 🧡 -Jamie
Vegan Gravy with Mushrooms
- 1 lb mushrooms - sliced
- 3 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth - See Note 1
- 5 to 6 Tablespoons flour - See Note 2
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- salt & pepper - to taste
- 1 bay leaf - (optional)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce - (optional) to darken color
- Sauté Mushrooms: In a large pot, sauté mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil until soft and tender, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.1 lb mushrooms, 3 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- Make roux: In the same pot, add the remaining oil and flour and stir continuously, about 2 minutes.5 to 6 Tablespoons flour
- Add broth and spices: Slowly pour in half the broth while stirring vigorously with a whisk. This will help prevent lumps. Once smooth and lump free, add the rest of the broth, sautéed mushrooms, onion powder, garlic powder, and bay leaf (if using). Add soy sauce, tamari, or liquid aminos if you prefer a darker color.3 cups vegetable broth, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, 1 bay leaf
- Thicken: Let the gravy boil until it thickens, about 3 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!salt & pepper
✎ Recipe Notes
- Broth or stock - Look for a good quality stock with all natural ingredients for the best flavor.
- Flour - Use all purpose flour. For thinner gravy, use 5 tablespoons.
- Storage & leftovers - Store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. The gravy will thicken as it cools. To reheat, use the stovetop or microwave while stirring occasionally for a smooth consistency.
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.