This easy au jus sauce is perfect for prime rib, roast beef, and French dip. It's a simple, flavorful sauce that can be made with or without drippings! All you need are basic ingredients like beef broth, butter, and Worcestershire sauce for a light sauce or gravy that pairs perfectly with any beef, lamb, or chicken recipe.
This au jus recipe is easy to make and ready in just five minutes with simple ingredients that don't require any drippings! It's our go-to sauce for prime rib, French dip, and roast beef or chicken, and steak!
What is au jus?
Au jus is a thin sauce or gravy that typically accompanies beef, lamb, or chicken dishes. It's typically made from the natural drippings or juices that come from cooking meat, hence its origin from the French term "with juice".
This homemade au jus produces a light, thin, and clear sauce that is made primarily from beef broth, butter and/or drippings, and Worcestershire sauce.
If you'd prefer a slightly thicker sauce, we added an option to the recipe to add flour for a consistency similar to thin gravy. For a thicker, traditional gravy, try our Brown Gravy recipe!
How to Make Prime Rib Au Jus
- Add the butter and/or drippings to a pan. If using flour and garlic powder, add that now and let it cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Next, add the beef broth and whisk everything together.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper to taste until well seasoned.
- Bring it to a boil and serve immediately. It should thicken slightly if you added flour.
Au Jus Serving Suggestions
Our favorite way to serve au jus is with prime rib. You can serve it piping hot on a side to dip or pour it over a slice or prime rib to let the meat soak up that delicious sauce.
Other ways to serve this light gravy include ladling over roast beef or chicken, with any cut of steak, or in a small bowl for dipping French dip sandwiches.
Easy Au Jus (No Drippings Needed)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter - and/or beef drippings
- ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce - or soy sauce
- salt & pepper - to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic & onion powder - (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flour - (optional) for a thicker au jus
- Add butter or drippings: Over medium heat, melt the butter and/or drippings in a saucepan. If using, add the flour and garlic & onion powder and stir together for 1 to 2 minutes.2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon flour, ⅛ teaspoon garlic & onion powder
- Add beef broth: Add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, and whisk to combine. Bring it to a boil over high heat. Note: It should thicken slightly if using flour.2 cups beef broth, ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Season and serve: Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with prime rib, roast beef, or French dip.salt & pepper
✎ Recipe Notes
*Nutritional information is an estimate, calculated using online tools.
This sauce was the perfect accompaniment to our steak. So full of flavor and easy to prepare. On this occasion, I did add the flour, but I am not sure it needed it, so will try without next time. We are making roast beef next weekend, and I will be making this again to serve alongside. Thanks for the great, simple and tasty recipe!
Thank you Alex! It's great with roast beef and prime rib. Let me know how you like it without the flour next time. 🙂
This recipe is a keeper! I've actually tried to make this before using another recipe and it didn't come out well. Turns out that butter is the secret ingredient. I can't wait to make this again!
Thank you Stephanie! The butter helps give the au jus richness that you'd normally get from drippings. Glad you enjoyed it!
I love this gravy. It's perfect for making french dip sandwiches with leftover meat!
I love this recipe for making au just without the drippings. Perfect for using for sandwiches for dipping.
Thanks Sharon! So glad you enjoyed it!
This sauce was so delicious and flavorful! We ended up adding the flour to make it slightly thicker and loved it.
I'm glad to hear that. Thanks for trying the recipe!
This was so simple to make and tasted incredibly good.
I love making home made au jus. It's so easy and flavorful. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Easy and so tasty. Just what my steak needed.
This is a perfect au jus! I will definitely be making this recipe often.