Yaki Udon | Stir Fried Udon Noodles
Yaki udon is an easy Japanese stir fried udon noodle recipe ready in 20 minutes! Stir fried udon noodles with a savory 5 ingredient yaki udon noodle sauce.
- 2 packets udon noodles total 13 oz vacuum packed noodles; see Note 1
- 2½ cups stir fry vegetables chopped (I used mushrooms, bok choy, onions)
- 2 stalks scallions cut 2 inches long
- ½ lb ground meat beef, chicken, turkey, pork, shrimp
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
Cook the Udon Noodles
Remove your udon noodles from its package and add it to a pot of boiling water. Frozen udon noodles can be added directly to the pot of boiling water. Stir gently until your udon noodles are separated and pliable. This should take 1 - 2 minutes. They come precooked so avoid overcooking them as they can get too soft.
Rinse and drain your noodles under cold water. If not using right away, drizzle on a little bit of oil to keep them from sticking.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Udon noodles - I used vacuum packed udon noodles that are pre-cooked and sealed fresh in individual packets. You can find these in the refrigerated or frozen section of Asian grocery stores. You can also use dried udon noodles. Simply cook them according to their directions and proceed with the recipe.
- Dark soy sauce - you can substitute regular soy sauce if you don't have dark soy sauce but the color will not be as dark. Pro tip: simply reduce regular soy sauce in a sauce pan with a pinch of sugar and a small drizzle of molasses to create a homemade version. Wait for it to come to a boil then turn it off once it thickens slightly.
- Oyster sauce - contrary to it's name, oyster sauce doesn't have an overwhelming oyster flavor, bur rather a sweet, umami flavor that's similar to hoisin sauce or teriyaki sauce. Substitute with: hoisin sauce, teriyaki sauce, or any sweet & savory brown stir fry sauce.
- Mirin - mirin is a Japanese cooking wine that gives dishes that restaurant quality taste. Substitute with: cooking wine, sake, soju. Non-alcoholic substitute: stock, water with a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar.
Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 650mg | Potassium: 535mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 3mg