Mayak Eggs - Korean Marinated Eggs
Mayak eggs are Korean marinated eggs that are soft boiled then marinated in a tasty marinade of soy sauce, garlic, peppers, and sesame seeds.
- 6 large eggs cold or room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vinegar for peeling eggs
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
Mayak Egg Marinade
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon dark soy (optional); substitute with soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar See Note 1
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 stalks scallions chopped
- 3 peppers red or green; sliced
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
Make marinade: Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
Soft boiled eggs: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add vinegar for easier peeling, then gently lower each egg into the pot. Set a timer for 6 minutes for room temperature eggs or 7 minutes for cold eggs. See Note 2.Stir the eggs in one direction for the first 30 seconds for an even cross section.
Peel eggs: After timer is up, place the eggs in an ice bath to stop cooking. Once cooled, crack the shell all over and carefully peel by inserting a spoon between the egg and shell.
Marinate eggs: Add the eggs in a container and pour the marinade on top. For best flavor, let it marinate overnight in the fridge.
Serve: To serve, cut each egg in half and drizzle toasted sesame oil on top before enjoying.
Leftovers: They last 3 to 4 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
How to use leftover marinade: Use the extra marinade in salad dressings, as a dipping sauce for dumplings, or you can reduce it and use as a glaze.
- Sugar - substitute with honey, agave, or sweetener of choice.
- Boiling eggs - Be sure to boil the eggs in a pot large enough to hold them in a single layer. If your pot is too small, the eggs will lower the temperature of the water too much and the whites won't set in time.
Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 279mg | Sodium: 1733mg | Potassium: 362mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 825IU | Vitamin C: 74mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 3mg