Vietnamese Noodle Salad with Tangy Dressing
This Vietnamese noodle salad is made with vermicelli rice noodles, fresh herbs and vegetables! It’s tossed with a delicious tangy and savory Vietnamese dressing and can be served cold!
- 7 oz thin vermicelli rice noodles - (dried) about 200g; substitute with any thin noodle
- 3 cups cucumber - julienned; about 2 cucumbers
- 3 cups carrots - julienned; about 2 medium carrots
- 2 ⅓ cups fresh herbs - basil, cilantro, mint, scallions - packed tightly
- 2 jalapeno peppers - (optional); cut into thin rounds
- lime wedges - (optional); for serving
- crushed peanuts - (optional); for garnish
- ¼ cup fish sauce use soy sauce for vegan option
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice - freshly squeezed (about half a lime)
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1 small Thai chili pepper - (optional) finely diced
Rehydrate your noodles by soaking them in boiling water for about 3 minutes or until completely soft. Drain the noodles and set them aside in a colander to drain off excess water.This method works if using thin noodles. Otherwise, follow the directions on the package to cook the noodles. Meanwhile prep the vegetables and herbs.
Add all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust according to your preferences. Makes about 1 cup of sauce.
Place the noodles in a large bowl and top with the cucumbers, carrots, basil, cilantro, and any other fresh herbs. Add the jalapenos at this time (if using). Add the dressing and toss to combine.
Serve immediately as a main course or as a side. Add your choice of protein on top. See Notes for make ahead instructions.
If making ahead, leave out the dressing and store the noodle salad in the fridge to serve cold. As the herbs can bruise and dry out easily, cover tightly with plastic wrap. Add the dressing and toss to combine right before serving. Make ahead a day in advance.
Calories: 117kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 880mg | Potassium: 547mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 16936IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 1mg