Egg Drop Soup - Easy and Authentic
This egg drop soup is easy, authentic, and ready in 15 minutes! Made with fresh eggs, chicken stock, and corn. An authentic restaurant style egg drop soup!
- 3 to 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup corn fresh or frozen kernels
- ¼ cup carrots diced into ¼ inch pieces
- 2 ½ Tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 ½ Tablespoons of water
- 2 stalks green onions chopped, for garnish
- salt to taste depends on the stock used
- 4 cups chicken stock substitute with vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil
- slice of ginger ¼ inch thick
- 2 cloves garlic smashed but left whole
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper substitute with black pepper
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (optional) for color
Beat the eggs: Beat eggs in a container with a spout for easy pouring. Set it aside.
Flavor oil: Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the cooking oil, ginger, and garlic. Stir for two minutes then remove the ginger and garlic.
Add stock: Raise heat to medium high and add chicken stock, diced carrots, sugar, white pepper powder, and turmeric if using. Bring it to a simmer. Meanwhile, mix the cornstarch with the water.
Thicken with cornstarch: Once the stock is simmering, stir the cornstarch and the water once more as there may be settling. Add it to the stock and stir it until the soup thickens.
Add egg ribbons: Once the soup thickens, use chopsticks to slowly swirl the soup in one direction (either clockwise or counter clockwise) so that it looks like a whirlpool.Slowly drizzle half the eggs in a thin stream while continuing to swirl with your chopsticks. Wait 30 seconds for the eggs to cook then do the same for the other half. See Note 1.
Season: Turn off the heat and add the corn and toasted sesame oil. Season with salt according to taste.
Garnish: Garnish with scallions and serve immediately.
- The chopsticks help create long, thin ribbons of egg. Pouring too fast will create lumps instead of ribbons.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave.
Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 193mg | Sodium: 423mg | Potassium: 388mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1683IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 2mg