Sticky Teriyaki Chicken Wings
These sticky teriyaki chicken wings are oven baked or fried until golden brown then tossed with a sticky & sweet teriyaki chicken wing sauce!
- 2 lbs chicken wings about 16 wings and drumettes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder aluminum free; see Note 1
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- vegetable oil for frying
Teriyaki Sauce (makes ½ cup)
Prep wings: Thoroughly dry the wings by patting with paper towels. Make sure there's no excess moisture. Add the chicken wings, sea salt, and aluminum free baking powder to a large bowl and mix together well.
Fried Wings (Instructions)
Pour 3 inches of oil in a deep pot and heat to 350°F. Add wings in a single layer without crowding. Deep fry for 8 to 10 minutes depending on the size of your wings. Work in batches to avoid lowering the temperature of the oil. Optional: For extra crispy wings, fry once more at 375°F for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
Make Teriyaki Sauce
Add all the ingredients for the teriyaki sauce in a small pot and boil over medium heat until thickened. About 6 to 8 minutes. Drop a small amount onto a plate and let it cool. Check for a syrupy, honey-like consistency.
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce, ¼ cup mirin, ¼ cup sugar, 3 cloves garlic
Teriyaki Sauce Substitutions:
- Baking powder: Baking powder is an alkaline which raises the pH of the chicken wings, thus giving the wings a golden brown color. Use aluminum free baking powder.
- Be sure to thoroughly dry the wings as that will help crisp them up.
- Teriyaki Sauce: Makes ½ cup of teriyaki sauce. Store leftover sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Wings are fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Checked the thickest part of the wing, avoiding the bone.
For spicy teriyaki wings, add right before serving:
- Soy sauce - Substitute with tamari, liquid aminos, coconut aminos.
- Mirin - Substitute with sake or white wine.
- Sugar - Substitute with brown sugar, honey, or agave.
Goes well with: Asian cucumber salad, Korean pickled radish, or sesame broccoli salad.
- Chili flakes
- Sliced jalapeno or serrano peppers
Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 1317mg | Potassium: 381mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 180IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 2mg