15 Minute Thai Basil Chicken (Pad Krapow Gai)
This Thai basil chicken is a fast and easy Thai stir fry made with chicken, Thai basil, and vegetables! Add chilis peppers for extra spice and serve with rice and a fried egg!
- 2 cups chicken cut into bite size pieces; about 1 lb
- 1 ¼ cup Thai basil see Note 1
- 1 ½ Tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup vegetables chopped (onions, peppers, green beans)
- 2 stalk green onions
- red and green chili peppers (optional for spice); minced
Sauce: Add all the ingredients for the sauce together in a small bowl and set aside.
1 Tablespoon dark soy sauce, 1 Tablespoon oyster sauce, 1 ½ Tablespoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce, 2 teaspoons fish sauce, 4 cloves garlic
Cook chicken: Heat your pan or wok over high heat and add the vegetable oil and the chicken. Stir fry until the chicken is almost cooked.
Add vegetables: Next add the minced chili peppers (if using) and vegetables. Stir fry until fork tender but still crisp.
Add sauce: Add the sauce and stir fry until the sauce thickens and coats the chicken. If you prefer less sauce, start with half.
Add basil: Turn off the heat and toss in the basil, reserving a few leaves for garnish. The heat will soften and wilt the basil leaves. Garnish with fresh leaves and sliced peppers. Serve immediately with rice. Enjoy!
For a vegetarian/vegan version, check out my Thai Basil Tofu recipe.
- Thai basil - This recipe tastes best with Thai basil but you can substitute any basil if you can't find it. It's sold in most Asian grocery stores in the fresh herb section.
- Chicken - You can substitute with ground chicken.
Calories: 94kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 464mg | Potassium: 144mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 494IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg